[TCRA] [Fwd: Re: birkie]

w9gdh at chibardun.net w9gdh at chibardun.net
Sun Feb 17 21:19:45 CST 2008

Subject: Re: birkie
From:    "K. & H. Larsen" <cen39556 at centurytel.net>
Date:    Sat, February 16, 2008 10:48 pm
To:      "Greg Hammerel" <w9gdh at chibardun.net>
         K9YLI at aol.com

Hi --

We will meet about 6:00 at McDonalds in Hayward on Saturday(Feb 23)morning
to get
our assignments, access pass, hats, etc.  Then we will depart for our
respective operating sites.  Operators will be assigned to one of the
eight food stations along the race course.  We will handle logistic radio
traffic. We will use frequency 146.55 Simplex.  A separate medical net
handles injuries.  Each food station is set up with whatever supplies they
think they will need for the race.  However, each winter is unique and,
despite the best plans, trail conditions change and individual station run
into difficulties.  So if they need more food, drink, cups, heaters,
propane, and so forth we try to help.  We also help skiers that have
dropped out or are lost. We will try to get in position by race start.
The Elite wave of men start at 8:20, the Elite Women start at 8:22, and
the other waves of Birkebiener and Korteloppet skiers follow at set
intervals. The Birkebiener Race starts at Telemark and ends on Main Street
in Hayward.  The Korteloppet(half the distance) starts and finishes at
Telemark. We generally operate the northern half until of the course until
12:00 and the southern half until 2:00 or 3:00 depending upon trail
conditions.  The cut off for skiers passing the last station is 5:00 so
the last two stations operate until then.  Besides radio operation you are
free to help hand out food to the passing skiers.  All in all it is a fun
day - - - best view of a world class ski competition you can get.  Please
let me know if you can make it so that I can coordinate assignments.  A
hand held radio is convenient but may not reach from the extreme ends of
the trail. A mobile will do just fine everywhere.