[TCRA] [Fwd: [Fwd: Birkie HAM radio operators needed]

Greg Hammerel w9gdh at chibardun.net
Thu Feb 14 14:36:45 CST 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[Fwd: Birkie HAM radio operators needed
Date: 	Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:15:34 -0600
From: 	Ed Jacobsen <jacobsen at sirentel.net>
To: 	mark wien <mark.syl01 at pressenter.com>, Greg Hammerel
<w9gdh at chibardun.net>, "A.J. Van Beest" <ajvanbeest at gmail.com>, Jay
Ferguson <kc9gsk at 5050ranch.com>, John Lindburg <n9qwh at yahoo.com>

Hi Guys,
We need a few more operators to 'man' radio communications from the
Birkie food stations to the race headquarters. If you know of any, would
you please have them get in touch with Kris Larsen at
   k-h-larsen at centurytel.net <mailto:k-h-larsen at centurytel.net>
Ed

Note from Kris larsen

My name is Kris Larsen, KB9KRH.  I coordinate the amateur radio coverage
for the Birkie.  In fact, their are two nets set up for the race.  The
first is the medical net. It is used by the ski patrol for injured
skiers.  We do not have anything to do with that.  The exception is the
case of a lost skier or drop-out who needs transportation home but not
to a medical facility.  Then we get involved.  Our net takes care of
logistics.  We help coordinate the movement of food, cups, heaters,
propane, and anything else that might be needed at the many food
stations.  Each food station is set up with a best guess of what might
be needed for the race.  However, trail conditions change from year to
year so needs also change.  Stations can unexpectedly run out of
supplies.  Racers need food and drink, so we try to get it
re-distributed as fast as possible.

We have radio operators at each of eight food stations, the race start
line, Birkie finish, Korteloppet finish, and net control set up
mid-course at Double O.  This command post also houses county and law
enforcement radios.

Also, I am short of operators at two stations.
A handheld radio would be fine, but most of the stations allow our radio
operators to drive in and operate mobile.

Thank you for your interest.  I am looking forward to seeing you at the
Birkie!

-- Kris Larsen
   k-h-larsen at centurytel.net <mailto:k-h-larsen at centurytel.net>

--